Sorry for the hiatas. I had some bad experiences that I needed to remedy before posting more pictures. You remember how the middle gray (aka "the river") was supposed to be dyed red? Well, you know how sometimes when you test out a color by painting a small sample on a wall, only to hate it when you paint the rest of the wall? Well, I fell victim to that, only with the red dye for the river. After some cursing, I did some sanding and eventually ended up with what I consider kind of a cool effect. The river is still gray, but it has a slight red undertone. Without any other red colors in my portfolio, I called up the client to get their opinion.
So after meeting with them this week and getting the all clear to procede (they liked the effect too), I polished the copper pipes that had been laying on my workbench for, oh, several months now an mixed up some epoxy. What do I need copper pipes and exopy for, you might ask? Well, trivets, of course, you silly reader. See, with concrete (and most other solid-surface countertops), if you were to place something really hot, like a dish straight from the oven, onto the counter, you risk hurting the sealant and, consequencly, discoloring the countertop. No one wants this. Luckly, concrete lends itself perfectly to beautiful and functional solutions. Since copper is such a beautiful, heat friendly, and inexpensive material, it makes for perfect inlayed trivets.
My "weights" holding down the trivets while the epoxy dries
Don't mind the shadow on the bottom
I happen to think they look really sharp with the gray colors. Definitely adds a nice accent piece.
So pretty...
Now that they're in, all that's left is sealing (and boxing it up, moving it, and installing it, blah blah blah). This morning I put the first coat of sealant on, and tonight, I added a second (pictures to follow).
I'm very pleased and think it'll look very nice in the client's kitchen. Hopefully they agree.
No comments:
Post a Comment