Ours will be a simple wedge-shaped pedestal-like sink. Below is the mold, including my little helper.
Mark's will be a wave-like shape and integrated into a countertop. He'll actually have two (mirror images), but we're making them one at a time. You can't see it very well, but the front and right sides have a rock-face mold thing so that the concrete looks like a rough rock edge. Very cool. Good choice, Mark.
Here's Cole helping us get ready to pour. And yes, he's wearing a respirator. Safety first, kids.
Mark graciously helped pour them. Talk about a conversation starter for future company. "Hey, come check out the sink I made." Everyone knows that chicks dig concrete, right?
Pouring went well. It was the next part that caused problems. The molds would NOT, for the love of everything holy, come out. I tried everything - blowing air down the sides, attacking them with putty knives, and pouring ice water inside so that they'd (theoretically) shrink. I even tried suspending them from the ceiling and jumping on them. I actually ended up breaking both molds in the process. Very sad. Thankfully, they're under warranty.
FINALLY, I was somehow able to pull them out. I was elated! Unfortunately, I realized that somehow the faucet knockout shifted about 1" off center during the pour - just enough to make it look wrong. As such, I'm preparing to re-pour it. Sad.
The concrete next to the sink mold actually took on a very cool glass-smooth black and gray rippled look. I'm not sure why, but I really like the effect.
Mark's sink turned out really cool, despite the mold issues. Notice the rock face.
The next step is to sand it smooth. Then we'll be ready for staining and sealing! Yippee!
No comments:
Post a Comment