Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Plaster dries quickly - point taken

So I've always considered the edging portion of this endeavor as being one of the most interesting yet unfamiliar components. Stained concrete? Check. Curved mold? Check. Elaborate edge akin to crown molding? Umm, what?

Don't get me wrong - I brought this on myself. Call it a self-initiated goal. Until this point, I didn't really have any idea what would work, if anything, and how well it would work. So I went to Hobby Lobby and loaded up with some plaster of Paris and modeling clay, just to play around.

I started with the plaster, hoping that its make-as-runny-as-you-like characteristics would be preferable over the viscous clay. Wrong. That plaster start out all nice and easy flowing (as seen below - looks like egg whites) but quickly turns rock solid. By quickly, I mean within a minute. That's pretty freakin fast, if you ask me.



After going through the entire tub of plaster only to be left with sub-par edges, I took a break and moved onto the clay. It took a while to warm it up to the point where I could screed it with the template and make some smooth curves, but once I hit that sweet spot, it was pretty easy sailing. The difference is noticeable.

I haven't written plaster off yet and still feel that it holds some great possibilities, if only I could better control the speed to which it dries (or just get quicker at applying it). Oh well. Lesson learned: Plaster is even more unruly than concrete.

No comments:

Post a Comment